Ants can always be a real nuisance, but fear not! In this blog, we’ll show you how to identify different ant types, prevent infestations, and eliminate them using natural and effective methods. Ants come in various species, with more than 1,000 known varieties. All of them may look the same but they can be differentiated by their habitat, color, and size. While ants are classified as pests, they are generally less harmful to health, so we often ignore them when we spot them in small numbers. At the same time, the presence of ant colonies will disturb our sleep. Ants mostly get attracted to food and water. In search of these and shelter, they invade our spaces. They are frequent visitors in the homes and offices in places like Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, all over the Emirates.
Identifying ant types and taking preventive measures accordingly is often a difficult task for common people and just a piece of cake for highly-trained professionals like Western Pest Control and Cleaning Services, Abu Dhabi. As mentioned above, ants are categorized into thousands of species. Let’s get to know about a few commonly seen ants in residences in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
The most commonly seen ants in Abu Dhabi:
Acrobat ants get their name from their ability to acrobatically raise their abdomen when alarmed. Their heart-shaped gaster has given them another name “Saint Valentine”. Compared to other ants they are nothing more than a nuisance.
This ant is a native to North Argentine. They are known as ecological pests. They don’t usually harm humans but attack nesting birds, hatching eggs, and other native fauna.
Asian Needle Ants
They are relatively long and slender, dark brown to black in color, with legs and mandibles that are a lighter brown to orangish color. They can also be distinguished from other ants because they have an inability to cling to smooth surfaces like glass.
The most troubling characteristic of these ants is their sting. Though they are not terribly aggressive, their sting can be very painful and affects differently for different people.
Carpenter ants are usually large, and black in color but can also be seen in red, yellowish, or a combination of colors. Multiple variations of these are seen in the UAE. They don’t directly harm humans or pets but they do damage wooden structures.
Pharaoh ants are golden yellow to reddish-brown in color and their hind end is typically a darker color than the rest of their body. They are one of the smallest species of ants. While they don’t sting people, they do have stingers that are not always visible. But they spread diseases in different ways.
Sugar ants, just like their name suggests, get attracted to sugar and sweet food items. They have brown-orange bodies with large black heads. They don’t typically bite, and even if they do it isn’t very harmful or poisonous.
Fire ants are red in color and a sting from a fire ant delivers a harmful substance called venom into the skin. It develops into a pustule in 24 – 48 hours and can cause infection.
Ant Control Methods
Ant control is not a difficult task if the number of ants is limited. But if there is a substantial colony of ants inside your building, then you might definitely need the help of a professional pest controller to get rid of them.
- The most important and basic thing to do to prevent ants or any kind of pests is to keep your place clean and tidy. Keep foods sealed, floors swept, and all surfaces cleaned.
- Seal the cracks and crevices to stop the entry of ants that cause problems inside your homes and offices. Ants can enter inside through small gaps. So, it is hard to find all the ways that ants used to enter inside. Hire the best pest control company in Abu Dhabi for better and everlasting results.
- Ants leave some pheromones on the way to attract the other ants if they find a place for food. So, once you find the nest, clean around all entry points with a detergent and then spray a non-repellent residual insecticide to kill all the ants that come that way.
- Ants that live together making colonies in your buildings are more problematic. The best way to find and prevent them is by hiring a pest control. Some of the few DIY methods are
- Clean the hard surfaces with a solution of vinegar and water, it will help to kill ants and also to repel them.
- Sprinkle cinnamon or diatomaceous earth near entry points.
- Ant baits are another common method of controlling ants. Ant baits are available in the form of gels, granules, or stations. Make sure to use products that are harmless to pets and children.
Even though these tips will help you identify the ants, it may be difficult to find the best remedy and apply it to the nest in an effective way. However, there is no need to worry. Western Pest Control in Abu Dhabi is where you can rely. We offer various ant control methods to solve your problem. Maybe you will just need a deep cleaning or sometimes you will need thorough pest controlling, to exterminate the ants. Whatever your requirements may be, our dedicated team is here to assist you.